Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Politics...... menopause is now a non-issue!

Without admitting that I'm very close to a rant, I'll simply say that attendance for my Red Hot Mamas menopause education program is nearly zero..... ok, well there were 2 registered..... for the Thursday, October 23rd program.

There are a million reasons folks wouldn't attend. I'm wondering if possibly politics, or the World's Series has something to do with it. We used to have at least 20 dedicated attendees. Maybe it was the content of the program.... cardiac health. Maybe people are tired of hearing:::

Exercise
Pay attention to your eating habits
Manage Stress
Schedule FUN
Have Sex
Laugh
Dance
And so forth........

The "E" word is the worst I think because people resist it; equate it with pain or discomfort. I know as I got older, it was less enjoyable for me. Step aerobics was a set up for a bladder leak; walking, while easiest, could ALSO be avoided the easiest. Treadmill, stairstepper, eliptical, weight machines.... visions of thongs, the prevailing scent of testosterone laden men as they struggle to hold in their gut, and the mindlessness of watching television as you pedel your bike. All no fun.

I took up Yoga. My body loves it, my brain loves it, and I am sleeping better and certainly less crabby. Not everyone wants to twist their body into poses and chant. And, at our age, flatulence is stimulated by the body movements and sounds can't be muffled in a quiet room. Its cool though because the majority of people in my classes are over 40 and a fart here and there means someone is having successful internal massage via the asanas. Very cool.

Still I'm bummed. Menopausal transition is important. My viewpoint only - and as a health educator it is my job to give people the information they need to make informed decisions. Nothing else. It's their decision whether to accept or reject the information. I'm not allowed to beg PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE COME TO THE PROGRAM SO YOU WILL UNDERSTAND CARDIAC DISEASE MORE CLEARLY..... PLEEEEEEEEEEASE?!

My glass half full belief is that people are worn out by the politics they're bombarded with in these days leading up to the election and they can't take one more piece of information into their overloaded brains. Plus the Phillies really need to win the series and game 2 was Thursday evening.

My glass half empty belief is that I'm loosing my edge and need to reinvent the program. Damn, the advertising department will LOVE that....... not.

No comments: